Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Like the Hunger Games...

These are the missionary sisters in Sister Messer's area with Sister Scott, their Mission President's wife next to Aus.  


Hello Everybody!
I'd like to compare this past week to the Hunger Games. Just as we're about to die in the depths of the forest, someone sends a little parachute carrying life saving ointment. But, it's true! All of our appointments wed/thur/fri were cancelled. ALL OF THEM. even dinner appt with members! We're like what theeee! So we decided we were going to pray more. So we started praying every time something good happened or even after an appt wasn't cancelled--basic things. Our shower head broke so we stopped at home depot to see if they had the part we needed..well, the didn't but the guy that helped us asked us about our nametags! haha and then we were praying in the car and we got a text with a referral from salt lake. right during our prayer! haha then we were calling former investigators and a lady named judith was interested! So things happen we you pray. just remember that! Of course seeing those things happen humble you and strengthen your faith. no complaints on my end! THEN yesterday at church, a woman walked in-she's totally open. Coming back next sunday, loved church, has a 17yr old daughter, is from china so she's mostly been taught that God doesn't exist but our ward has a gospel principles class for investigators or RCs and the lesson was on our Heavenly Father so it went really well! Super blessing alert.
I totally forgot to mention a super funny phone call we got about 3 or so weeks ago. I answered it and he was like, "Hi, this is John-i'm going to India to find myself a wife and i keep hearing my ex-wife's voice in my head saying she's going to kill me, I suffer from scizophrenia (sp check?) and i was wondering if you could say a prayer for me right now." I was like uhhhhhh and by this time i had it on speaker and sis Wirthlin was listening and i held it out to her and mouthed, "you do it! there is nooo way i'll be able to." So she was like, "uhm, ya...sure...what do you want me to say?" he explained the situation over again and we just couldn't stop laughing. which is probably pretty bad but we had no idea who this guy was! So we said a prayer and he really appreciated it but that was one for the books.
I WENT ON EXCHANGES! Wednesday night we drove down to Weston and I was companions with Sister Woo from Hong Kong. They only ride buses there! So i got to talk to people on the bus and we had some great appointments and i committed someone to baptism! First one! too bad i have nothing to do with her now! haha It was a great experience. The zone leaders were at the lesson too and then they drove us to another appt with a lady who is trying to quit smoking so she can get baptized. I learned a lot, it was really good! It forced me to be more outgoing and it got easier throughout the day. We were in Jane&Finch, a super sketch part of Toronto, haha it reminded me of ghetto Vegas. Plus riding the buses...quite the experience. Sis Woo was like, "you shouldn't be afraid to talk to people, they'll like you cuz you're white." hahah I was definitely a minority there! It was sister Woo's 6month mark and we had met up with some elders at subway and they convinced her to burn something. elders usually burn ties i guess? ya, so we burned an old shirt. Effective use of time? probably not...but it was fun! 
 I can't believe you quoted me in stk conf dad...totes embarrassing! haha 
To answer your questions...
no, didn't get a baptism date this week. it's been a hard week! our ZLs got mad at us cuz we use so many k's. like there's a zone party/get together in weston today but we would use over 200ks to go there and drive to milton that we told them we can't come. Hopefully that will show them that we're trying and make them feel bad for rebuking us. Today is transfers! and we got a new district leader and a 2 new: a mandarin & spanish speaking elder.  Sooo we're trying our best! and are frustrated sometimes but holiday weeks are super slow. and we're seeing things get picked up! holla!
Mom, do you put pics on my blog too? 
Well, this week has been slow but miracles have happened! I survived jane&finch and we're excited to be staying in Oakville another transfer.
love sister messer

No comments: