Friday, March 8, 2013

I LOVE TORONTO!


Hey Everyone!
Toronto skyline mural
   Where do I start? My new comps name is Sister Cross. She is from the Seattle area. She was also a student at BYUI. She's been sick this week with a sinus infection which hasn't slowed us down much but it's a rough start for her! Hopefully she'll feel better soon! On Thursday we got to take a trip downtown for a doctor's appt. I love Toronto! So about my new area- there are 3 sets of missionaries in the ward. I didn't know this last week but on transfer day I showed up at the Brampton stk center to get the bag with keys/phone and the elder in charge said, "are you opening a new area?" Long story short, President didn't mention it over the phone but we are. They split the ward into 3rds and we cover Don Mills East! So we got a new phone with absolutely zero numbers in it, an area book that was totally empty and an old apartment that used to be the Korean elders. haha I met a sister missionary that just came in (There were 36 new missionaries that came in, 29 were sisters) who came up to me and said, "The day I left for the MTC i found your blog!" So shout out to Sis. Prescott (and her mom if she's still reading it. haha)
Toronto Stake Center-It's huge!!!
   About my new area- it's great. Our ward meets at the Toronto Stake Center and it's the biggest church i have ever seen. It's 3 floors, has an underground parking garage and it's made to be able to fit an entire stake there on Sunday. However, we're the only ward that meets there! haha It has the old Can-Tor east mission office and across the hallway from that is what we call 'narnia'. It's this huge room that the old mission used to store BOM's in every language, pamphlets in every language, pass along cards, movies, even old missionary clothing. It's got everything you could ever need so we get supplies out of Narnia. haha From a window in that room you can see the CN Tower perfectly. It's my wildest dream come true! haha SO ya, that church is crazy. Members have told us that it could be turned into a temple in the future. That may or may not be a myth. We are on bus/subway. The subway is really neat! They call it 'the rocket'. So you'll see advertisements that say "ride the rocket!" We're mainly on the bus though. This week we've been trying to figure out who's in our area and been learning how to get around. We've found a new investigator- Karthi. He's from India and is Hindu. I was able to use some tamil that sis. anushya taught me when we street contacted into him. He just laughed and answered in english but it totally broke the ice. haha
  A member in the ward just returned from his mission in Kennewick WA. So i remembered that E. Solomon and E. Maughan were serving there and I asked him about them. He told me exactly what they were up to and where they were serving. He was the AP in their mission- Elder Lim. Small world, eh?
  My new address-  
2 Swift Dr. #412
North York, ON
M4A 2A2
Canada
Mom, to answer your questions about the apt, we have lots of Korean material...and no, we cannot see the CN tower because of another building and some trees that are in the way but I see it as we walk around our area in the distance. I was hoping to be able to go downtown today but we have a lot of cleaning and shopping to do. Hopefully next week and if the weather is clear- the CN tower for sure!
  This are is really diverse and I guess i've gotten used to it over the past year. But i'm continually reminded as Sis. Cross is in amazement of all the different accents and people. haha It's great. Our ward is actually mainly Filipino, the bishop invited us over for Baloot (spelling?) there's no way i will ever eat that.
   Hope I updated you well enough :) have a great week!
Sister Messer

No comments: