Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sister Messer's First Letter!

Tuesday November 8, 2011
HELLO!!!!!!!
Today is Pday and our district went to the temple and did a session together. it was really cool to see our district all there together! We're all getting to know each other really well and it's so fun with everyone. Mom, remember the kid from vegas who went through the temple the week before me who was going to Toronto? Was his name Elder Rogers? He's in my district. I see Shelby Bennett pretty much every day. Our class rooms are in the same building, on the same floor so it's good to meet up by the bathrooms and talk about how things are going. The 1st time we taught an investigator, Sister Turvaville and I were feeling kind of down because we didn't have much time to prepare and we were just nervous! But we ran into Sister Bennett & her companion and she said she cried after they got done because she was so disappointed...that made me not as sad anymore. haha But just yesterday my teacher (sister christensen) told sis. Turvaville and I that she feels like she neglects us a lot but it's because she doesn't worry about us. We felt good after that! Kind of gave us some hope.
Side note---did dad see my blog post from yesterday? Happy Birthday dad!
Goodness, i don't quite know how to tell you about a full week at the mtc in one letter...SO MUCH happens all the time. SO much learning & long hours. It's crazy! But i think i love it...
After you dropped me off, I was lead to a sister missionary who helped check me in. Guess what? She's FROM toronto. It was crazy! I actually just ran into her at the laundry room today (about the laundry room...hundreds of washer/dryers...it's insane!) and her friend back in Toronto is really interested about the church. She said she has been asking questions about the Gospel because a family member just died or something like that. So she gave me her info and i'm supposed to do the goods once I get there...cool, huh?
I've seen 3 interior design majors here too! Sister Huppe who dropped out last year, Sister Neilson...who also dropped out & then Megan Pruden who i'd emailed before I left...remember her? Well we live on the same floor & see each other every day. familiar faces, yay! I've also seen 2 people from my BYUI 12 ward. One elder was standing behind me in the book store and i was like woah! You were in 12th ward! Things that like that happen all the time...small world.
OK so as i was saying, they checked me in & all the new missionaries met in a big room for a meeting with the Presidency. 421 new missionaries arrived last wednesday. The 1st lady of Honduras just happened to be on campus so she said hi to all of us. Pres. Hinckley's son (just got released from the quorum of 70) also said hi. That night we had a workshop and I got to sit by Sister bennett.
Ok, i got your letter that said you saw that girl from the nauvoo pageant--so did i! She was walking down the stairs in my building. So she must be a teacher here or something. I would've said something but she was too far away. Dad, there's some missionaries in my hall going to Billings...just fyi. haha
I've learned a lot about relying on the spirit. Basically that every good thought that comes to you is the spirit. I think that will help me a lot while teaching investigators. If it pops into my head, i'm just gonna roll w/it! We're getting better at teaching. It's hard though! Trying to relate all this doctrine so that it fits to the person you're teaching specifically...hard.
We get treated pretty good here! The elders in our district are so funny. We're trying to get used to calling people "sister" and "elder" instead of guys. So every time they say "hey guys" or whatever, someone snaps their name tag off. the one that folds over their chest pocket...i guess it's hard to put back on? haha anyways...They practice their gentleman qualities by taking our trays from us at the cafeteria (one time one yelled "sisters! Don't even think about it!!) Or run to the doors to open it first. I find it amusing and partially embarrassing but sister turvaville & I admitted we don't like to be served but we're letting them do it anyways. haha
Yes, busy 24/7. Wake up really early. The bathroom situation is good mom. haha and i had a top bunk until my roommates left for Germany yesterday morning so i moved! Shoes are good, robe is good, wearing dresses is alright...getting used to it.
AH! i only have 10 min. left on the comp. Uhhh but i think that's pretty much it. I'll try to write before next p day! Off to dinner then a fireside!
Miss & love ya!
Sister Messer

2 comments:

Michaela said...

Yay Austrie!! I mean, Sister Messer! We miss you and this is all so exciting!

Connie said...

So cute how excited she sounds! I remember those MTC days well...